Friday, January 18, 2008

My Need For More Head Shrinking

Right after I made the decision to leave my ex-husband, I thought it might be a good idea to pursue some individual therapy for myself. I was hesitant to do so because in the past, I had not had such good luck with with counselors. I had sought assistance a few times during my marriage and was not impressed with the quality of advice given to me AT ALL. But, I suppose I was desperate.

Since I work for a state government agency, I am entitled to all sorts of perks and benefits. I contacted my office representative and was told I would receive 6 free therapy visits and a few contacts in my area. And that is how I found him. Chris was a wonderful doctoral intern at a local counseling office. I saw him weekly for about 4 months and twice a month thereafter for almost a year. Chris helped me understand why I do the things I do and the possible reasons why I didn't realize I was a lesbian until I was 29. Truly amazing.

So the time has come to again pursue some counseling. LK was able to recognize the signs of my depression long before I ever did. And while it took me some time, I grudgingly admitted to myself and to her that she was right.

So I have an appointment next week. I must admit that I am a bit nervous. I know I am suffering from some anxiety issues and I have a short fuse. I can see this short fuse just in my day to day life with the children. I tend to lose my patience much more quickly and get frustrated over little things that didn't use to set me off. So there's no doubt that I will benefit from some assistance. It's just hard to admit when you need help.

1 comment:

Mon said...

Be kind to yourself, everyone needs help sometimes, especially with something like this.